Ramblings about what I encounter within the realm of the geosciences, as well as the occasional rant about nonsense.

29 February 2008

Light plates subduct faster than dense plates...

This is a neat idea I came across, it explains (at least it clears up to me) why certain boundaries move considerably faster than others. Think Nazca vs. Pacific. It sounds feasible, but I would like to read the Nature paper for more information.

Click here for the story

If you want to read the actual article here is the citation (and I just found the link [subscription required]):
Saskia Goes, Fabio A. Capitanio and Gabriele Morra. "Evidence of lower mantle slab penetration phases in plate motions." Nature, 21 February 2008.

No comments:

Disclaimer

All the Latin on this page is from my vague recollections from High School. There are mistakes in the text. I just was trying to get the point across

Between Los Alamos,NM and White Rock, NM

Between Los Alamos,NM and White Rock, NM
The photo of the travertine spring was taken in the small opening in the center of the image.

Lectio Liber