Ramblings about what I encounter within the realm of the geosciences, as well as the occasional rant about nonsense.

08 July 2008

Look out MyFacebook!!

At least as far as those pesky edu-macated types are concerned.

A couple of grad students have started a social networking site. Shocking, I know. But there is a hook. The aim of the site is to help coordinate graduate researchers in similar fields in order to start building contacts for later research projects.

It seems pretty low-key right now (not many people have found it, I assume). So here I am doing my small (very small) part. I am providing a link!

Graduate Junction

If any geologist types decide to join, feel free to look up the group I am creating. "Foreland Basins Discussion Group" (the only group with "beer" as a search word).

On a side note. There is a disturbing trend in the geo web-o-sphere. On the new social networking site "Graduate Junction" there is an appalling lack of geologists (~20, including me). More disturbing still is the lack of sedimentary geologists (~5, though 2 counted only as a half). When compared with Physics (60), Biology (67), and Chemistry (105!!!) it is clear we are underrepresented.

Don't let those test-tube cleaning, frog squeezing, Higgs-boson huggers beat us out. There is a reason why our meetings are awesome! Show your geologic pride!

BTW I apologize for the sparse posts (to anybody reading this). I have been trying to write the dread tome known as "The Thesis". But on the advice of 10 Million Years of Solitude's own Jeannette. I am stepping back (at least for the evening).

When phrases like "previous workers attempts have had all the subtlety of a hammer hitting a tea-cup" start sneaking into the manuscript it is time for a break. Though I still find that sentence amusing (if not a wee bit over-exaggerated).

4 comments:

Silver Fox said...

Yeah, I like the phrase - it can be hard to sneak those kinds of phrases past your entire committee, however. It could be interesting to see if all of your committee will read The Thesis close enough to see it! ;)

Too old for the grad facebook thing, I guess - but you've got a good forum here for recruiting (or even go directly to other geobloggic websites and email appropriate potential joinees, perhaps).

Tuff Cookie said...

Already joined. As there are only a few geologists on there, you should be able to find me. :)

I will admit to knowing very little about foreland basins, but what the heck, if it's got "beer" as a search word it must be worth joining.

Bryan said...

I was debating that (whether my committee will catch the phrase) last night.

I think if my advisor were to catch it, he would let it slide(probably giggling all the while).

One of my committee members would find it funny, but tell me to take it out (in the interest of not getting me lambasted later).

The third member would call me into his office and after ~39 hours of him blathering on (changing his position multiple times) he would tell me I need to add a section describing, in detail, the physics of a hammer hitting a teacup. Followed by a section on how teacups can potentially shatter the plate tectonics paradigm.

this is all under the assumption that they actually read it close enough to catch it though. ^_^

And yeah, I still like the blogging (when I get around to it), Grad Junction is just another in the growing myriad of methods of scientists sharing information.

Bryan said...

A knowledge of Foreland Basins is entirely inconsequential. It is just a code word some of us grads came up with to get away from the office and drink.

However, after a pitcher or several, we would always start ranting about some aspect of geology/paleontology.

Topics have included: Hyperpycnites, Massive Bedding, What constitutes "science, paradigms, and parsimony", Ontogeny, Phylogeny, Lacustrine deposition, isochronous vs. diachronous deposition, Uniformitarianism, and recently we have been getting short bursts of human anatomy (thanks to a paleo grad who is TAing the course). Really, what it comes down to is we just liked talking about (and hearing about) what people were doing.

Disclaimer

All the Latin on this page is from my vague recollections from High School. There are mistakes in the text. I just was trying to get the point across

Between Los Alamos,NM and White Rock, NM

Between Los Alamos,NM and White Rock, NM
The photo of the travertine spring was taken in the small opening in the center of the image.

Lectio Liber