Ramblings about what I encounter within the realm of the geosciences, as well as the occasional rant about nonsense.

29 September 2008

Siccar Point

One of the things I was most excited about for this trip was a chance to visit Siccar Point. When we were in the area, the weather couldn't have been better. Unfortunately, it was one of the wettest Augusts on record, so it was very wet and muddy. I hiked down to within about 30 m of actually standing on Hutton's Unconformity before (after slipping twice in the mud) I thought better of going the whole way.

After I hiked back to the top, I had a newfound respect for just how tough Hutton was. I figured he must have hiked down this near vertical slope in the gentlemanly garb of the day (in his 60s as well), and here I was slipping and sliding in jeans and hiking boots. Then my dad informed me that Hutton used a boat. Now I just think that Hutton was better prepared (and.... probably tougher than me).

Anyway, I guess now is the part where I show the pictures I took:

Our first hint that it was going to be a bit sloppy out in the field. The creek was flowing over the little bridge, though the prescence of a raised foot bridge suggests this is a common event:

This is taken from Pease Bay, where we stopped off before visiting Siccar Point. We decided it would probably be easier to look closely at the Devonian Sandstone here:
A closeup shot of the Devonian Sandstone. This has been interpreted to be deposits from a large river flowing into a standing body of water:This was taken on the way to Siccar Point. It is looking back towards Pease Bay. I just thought it was a nice scenic shot: This was my first look at Siccar Point:

This is Siccar Point. I crawled down a bit further than I was when I took the photo. See where you can't see the fence line anymore, that is where I stopped. It got a lot steeper, but it was just as muddy (about 20-30m above those friendly rocks).This is a zoomed in shot of the angular unconformity. The gently dipping red sandstone (middle left) is overlying the near vertical gray graywacke (which is everywhere else in the shot really):
Well that is all for my first trip to Siccar Point.

Disclaimer

All the Latin on this page is from my vague recollections from High School. There are mistakes in the text. I just was trying to get the point across

Between Los Alamos,NM and White Rock, NM

Between Los Alamos,NM and White Rock, NM
The photo of the travertine spring was taken in the small opening in the center of the image.

Lectio Liber