Ramblings about what I encounter within the realm of the geosciences, as well as the occasional rant about nonsense.

05 September 2008

They seem to appreciate him far more than US public schools

While traveling over to Wales, we made a quick stop to Shrewsbury. This is notable because it is where Charles Darwin went to school. Here is his statue in front of the Shrewsbury library (surprisingly, they do not have an early edition of Origin of Species (so I provided my own), but they do have a small gift shop).


Here is a picture of the oldest portion of the library itself (built in the 1600s I think). It now houses the computers(all very busy when I stopped by)

Not only does Darwin get a statue, but he also appears on two symbols of the local economy. He is on the 10 pound note (scientists? On money?!?!? That’s dangerous thinking!!!) And he is also the namesake of the local mall!!! Unfortunately, I couldn’t find a copy of Origin of Species on sale in the mall either (probably a good thing, I have a few copies already).



1 comment:

Julia said...

Aha! You've made it as far as the city of my birth. Shrewsbury are very proud of their most famous son. It's been the Darwin Shopping Centre as long as I can remember (I'm sure my mum or aunt would be able to tell me when it was built).

Having said that, he briefly took second place in the mid 1990s to the fictional Brother Cadfael (from Ellis Peters' novel), about whom there was an awful lot of fuss and a whole historical visitors centre in the old abbey.

I think we used to have Michael Faraday or Humphrey Davy on one of our bank notes too. Possibly on the £20, before they replaced him with Adam Smith (or whoever it is - to be honest, I rarely have a £20 note in my wallet...).

Disclaimer

All the Latin on this page is from my vague recollections from High School. There are mistakes in the text. I just was trying to get the point across

Between Los Alamos,NM and White Rock, NM

Between Los Alamos,NM and White Rock, NM
The photo of the travertine spring was taken in the small opening in the center of the image.

Lectio Liber