Ramblings about what I encounter within the realm of the geosciences, as well as the occasional rant about nonsense.

09 November 2008

Eppur si muove!


I watched a documentary on Galileo the other night (The Nova one which is also based partially on Galileo's Daughter by Dava Sobel). And they were talking about Galileo's book "Dialogue Concerning the Two Chief World Systems".

This got me to thinking... "I wonder if I can find a copy of that". It seems like it was written to be the first book we would now consider to be "popular science". It was written in the vernacular, instead of latin. It was written as a conversation being held between two people (the more famous seems to be Simplicius, who advocated the church's view). And it was quickly banned, like books worth reading tend to be.

So I set to my task, thinking it would probably have been published on its own as a part of a classics collection or something like that (it is one of the five books in "On the Shoulders of Giants", but I don't like cumbersome books like that). So I did a quick Google search (and I mean quick). The first hit was the full text online!!! Now all I have to do is print it out (I don't like to read from a computer screen). And the best part is it is all FREE. Go ahead, read about how Salviati intellectually mops the floor with Simplicius.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On a side note: Eric is valiantly playing the part of Salviati in his Expanding Earth post comments section. He posted this in Feb. and the ignorant horde have been assaulting him ever since (most recent was a few weeks ago).

No comments:

Disclaimer

All the Latin on this page is from my vague recollections from High School. There are mistakes in the text. I just was trying to get the point across

Between Los Alamos,NM and White Rock, NM

Between Los Alamos,NM and White Rock, NM
The photo of the travertine spring was taken in the small opening in the center of the image.

Lectio Liber