Ramblings about what I encounter within the realm of the geosciences, as well as the occasional rant about nonsense.

21 November 2008

I'm a Mechanic?

Also saw this one floating around the blogosphere. Over at Adventures in Ethics and Science and over on Silver Fox's Looking For Detachment. The site is here.

The gist is the same as astrology. Arbitrary data input being interpreted as meaningful information. And like astrology, it doesn't work (except in the quick "I'm bored, hey wonder what this site does" sort of way).

According to this site address, I am a mechanic (the description doesn't really describe me at all, I think):
The Mechanic

The independent and problem-solving type. They are especially attuned to the demands of the moment are masters of responding to challenges that arise spontaneously. They generally prefer to think things out for themselves and often avoid inter-personal conflicts.

The Mechanics enjoy working together with other independent and highly skilled people and often like seek fun and action both in their work and personal life. They enjoy adventure and risk such as in driving race cars or working as policemen and firefighters.
I do work well on my own, but that is because I tend to be easily distracted. And anyone who actually has met me knows me in a highspeed pursuit is not likely.

Further evidence as to the whole fullishness (keep in mind I still found it good fun). I have another blog (sorry my eyes only) that I use when I want to play around with html coding (make sure everything looks right). And when I put in that address, I get....the duty fullfillers. I find this hilarious as the content is mostly identical, so I figure it must take the url and throw that in a generator. Anyway, this doesn't describe me either, but it is a tad closer to the mark:
The Duty Fulfillers

The responsible and hardworking type. They are especially attuned to the details of life and are careful about getting the facts right. Conservative by nature they are often reluctant to take any risks whatsoever.

The Duty Fulfillers are happy to be let alone and to be able to work int heir [sic] own pace. They know what they have to do and how to do it.
Though this is fairly antithetical to what I got previously. I am a risk-taker who doesn't like to take risks.

In summary, good fun for when you are bored. But, like I have to tell anyone actually reading this blog, don't expect life-changing revalations... Unless you try and typealyze the typealyzer site. I can apparently read Thai fluently, and that changed my life.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Addendum: When I put in my profile webpage I also get a completely different result.
The Guardians
The organizing and efficient type. They are especially attuned to setting goals and managing available resources to get the job done. Once they´ve made up their mind on something, it can be quite difficult to convince otherwise. They listen to hard facts and can have a hard time accepting new or innovative ways of doing things.

The Guardians are often happy working in highly structured work environments where everyone knows the rules of the job. They respect authority and are loyal team players.
So, three personality types. One person. I am totally tri-polar. Unless you start analyzing individual posts you put up, then I run the entire gamut of personality types (which I think is far more representative of reality).

3 comments:

Silver Fox said...

Actually, this is based on a long, detailed personality test - which, although the results and implications can be argued about - is much more insightful than this website analyzer.

But, yeah, people are getting diff results for other sites that are almost the same. Haven't tried any of my hidden ones; good idea.

Bryan said...

Is it really, I thought it was one of those sites like the palin baby name generator.

If that is the case, I wonder what the variables are that it looks for. I also wonder if the results change over time.

This opened up a whole new avenue of the interweb time vortex.

Lockwood said...

Thanks for linking my blog! Yeah, I find this stuff pretty silly; as long as everyone uses it "for entertainment purposes only" (as with lottery tickets), it's fine. But I do hope people understand that this barely reaches the threshold of pseudoscience. I just ran the whole blog; it might be interesting to run individual posts. I just don't feel like it's worth the time.

Disclaimer

All the Latin on this page is from my vague recollections from High School. There are mistakes in the text. I just was trying to get the point across

Between Los Alamos,NM and White Rock, NM

Between Los Alamos,NM and White Rock, NM
The photo of the travertine spring was taken in the small opening in the center of the image.

Lectio Liber