Ramblings about what I encounter within the realm of the geosciences, as well as the occasional rant about nonsense.

04 December 2008

Glacier Photos III: The Search for Rock

Sorry for the hiatus. It is getting to the end of the semester here. As a result of this, I find myself crunched for time to actually complete things that I theoretically should prioritize, like attempting to graduate. This has also resulted in me not realizing I should go to sleep until I see the sun rising over the, now snow-covered, Bridger and Gallatin Ranges. So here it is, Part III in my Glacier Photo Series. Parts I and II are here (respectively) and part IV should be up before too long.Above is a shot of Glacier National Park's namesake, a.... glacier.... Well there had to be at least one in this set. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of this particular glacier. [Edit: I have been reminded it was Jackson Glacier. Thank you ReBecca!]Nothing much to the above and below photos. I just thought that they were nice and scenic. I liked the strata on the above cliff. As for the shot below, I just hiked a little off the beaten trail in order to get this shot.The next shot was taken at one of the most scenic places in the park, at least that is what the sign told us. I took several shots, but for some reason this is the only one that looks really good. Unfortunately, it is the only one where a kid wandered into my shot [shake fist at kid] [/shake fist at kid]

And finally (for this set at least) what would a trip to a national park be without an encounter with a bear?
Did you see the bear? Neither did I. While I was taking this photo, several other groups of visitors pulled over on the side of the road. I thought, "how odd, I haven't seen another geologist all day, but the more the merrier". After I finished with my photo, one of the newcomers asked if they could see the photo I got of the bear. I was very confused, and I had to explain that I was actually taking pictures of the rocks, and I didn't realize a bear was anywhere near my shot.

That is all for this set, stay tuned for Glacier Photos IV: The Blossom Menace

2 comments:

ReBecca Foster said...

Your first picture is of Jackson Glacier :)
Nice ones

Bryan said...

Ah, yes it is all coming back to me. Thank you very much!

Disclaimer

All the Latin on this page is from my vague recollections from High School. There are mistakes in the text. I just was trying to get the point across

Between Los Alamos,NM and White Rock, NM

Between Los Alamos,NM and White Rock, NM
The photo of the travertine spring was taken in the small opening in the center of the image.

Lectio Liber