Ramblings about what I encounter within the realm of the geosciences, as well as the occasional rant about nonsense.

02 February 2009

Areological sinkhole

Bad Astronomy is reporting Mars is depressed. NASA has found what appears to be a sinkhole on Mars. It looks pretty sweet, especially if you have access to 3-D glasses.
It probably is not a crater because it is lacking certain features (no raised rim, for example). HiRISE is interpreting this to be a result of magma-water interactions. I'm not an expert (so take what I say with the appropriate skeptical position), but I will reserve judgment on what caused this feature until there is more data than a picture.

I can't find any information on the exact scale of the object, but those are DUNES in the center of the depression! I also am a fan of the pull-apart features lining the rim of the depression. It reminds me of a project in my undergrad where we mapped a landslide along the local reservoir. Well, enjoy tracking down a pair of red-green glasses, and staring at your monitor like a little kid. Science is rad.

No comments:

Disclaimer

All the Latin on this page is from my vague recollections from High School. There are mistakes in the text. I just was trying to get the point across

Between Los Alamos,NM and White Rock, NM

Between Los Alamos,NM and White Rock, NM
The photo of the travertine spring was taken in the small opening in the center of the image.

Lectio Liber