Ramblings about what I encounter within the realm of the geosciences, as well as the occasional rant about nonsense.

05 February 2009

Help the NSF

I received this email from an office-mate. And since I have a small corner of the interwebs to myself, I figured I would post it up here [modified slightly to appeal to anyone not within my department]. Keep in mind this is not the entire NSF budget on the chopping block, just an increase in their funding (as far as I can tell). To me, it doesn't really matter. I think the NSF has been woefully underfunded for a while, and investing in new science and technology is generally a good thing (creates jobs and promotes innovation and education). Anyway, enough of my blather:
Dear Faculty/Students,

As some of you may know, Senators Collins (Maine) and Nelson (Nebraska) are leading a proposal to cut back the Senate stimulus bill. Their proposal includes eliminating the entire 1.4 billion dollar allotment to NSF. You all know how important NSF is to science and this department. Please take a moment, if you are willing, and call the offices of your Senators to urge them to protect the NSF portion of the stimulus bill. Phone numbers are below. You may get a live person, or you may get voice mail - both are worth it. The more constituents who call, the better the odds one or both of our senators will fight against this proposal. Emails are also a worthwhile endeavor.

The key, though, is to do this as soon as possible - this is being hammered out right now, so time is of the essence. Please forward this to anyone who may be affected by this.
you can find your senators contact information here. Here is a New York Times article on it. And there are scores of blog posts about it.

No comments:

Disclaimer

All the Latin on this page is from my vague recollections from High School. There are mistakes in the text. I just was trying to get the point across

Between Los Alamos,NM and White Rock, NM

Between Los Alamos,NM and White Rock, NM
The photo of the travertine spring was taken in the small opening in the center of the image.

Lectio Liber