Ramblings about what I encounter within the realm of the geosciences, as well as the occasional rant about nonsense.

10 February 2009

Last thing on the stimulus... I promise

I was flipping through news broadcasts last night when I stumbled on Rachel Maddow talking with Ben Nelson (D[kinda]-Nebraska). I found his "pretzel logic" fantastically entertaining. At least until I realized he isn't just some kook, but an actual senator with actual power. If you ever wondered what reasons senators use to cut funding to public works projects, it is apparently because they don't want the government interfering with special-ed programs. We'll catch up after the clip.
Welcome back. Now I realize that I laid out a straw-man above, but to seriously argue that building a school will lead to the government dictating how to run a special-ed program is a slippery slope (I just countered a logical fallacy with a weak argument in order to mock Nelson's position). After all:
"Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions."
-Thomas Jefferson
I also enjoyed the lead-in to the interview. Especially since I had been pointing out to anyone who stood still long enough all week that it was large amounts of spending that was getting us out of the Great Depression. True WWII had a positive effect, but FDR's New Deal was working. And the RNC chairman splitting hairs about "work" and a "job" was priceless. Speaking of that, Colbert had a good clip about that. I might as well link to that as an exit to this post. Enjoy!

No comments:

Disclaimer

All the Latin on this page is from my vague recollections from High School. There are mistakes in the text. I just was trying to get the point across

Between Los Alamos,NM and White Rock, NM

Between Los Alamos,NM and White Rock, NM
The photo of the travertine spring was taken in the small opening in the center of the image.

Lectio Liber