Ramblings about what I encounter within the realm of the geosciences, as well as the occasional rant about nonsense.

26 March 2009

Martian Mud Volcanoes

Wow, this is pretty awesome if it pans out. BBC news is reporting that there are possible mud volcanoes on Mars. Here is the link. This was presented, recently, at the Lunar and Planetary Science conference in Texas. I just found out about this via geologynews twitter feed. So I don't know much about it yet myself, but if I find anything more than the BBC article I will make sure to update people.

If this is correct, it could explain the source of the methane that we observe in Mars' atmosphere. So far the only criticism I have found is that this might be a relic of glacial retreat. But I don't know if I would be willing to rule out the mud volcano aspect. Clearly, more research needs to be done on this!
______________________________________________________________
Edit: Apparently this should not come as a surprise to the geobloggers, I just realized a lot of you are over there too and also subscribe to the geologynews twitter feed. Bloggers ALSO on Twitter.... who would've guessed? Apparently, not me.

No comments:

Disclaimer

All the Latin on this page is from my vague recollections from High School. There are mistakes in the text. I just was trying to get the point across

Between Los Alamos,NM and White Rock, NM

Between Los Alamos,NM and White Rock, NM
The photo of the travertine spring was taken in the small opening in the center of the image.

Lectio Liber