Ramblings about what I encounter within the realm of the geosciences, as well as the occasional rant about nonsense.

18 March 2009

Sun Column

I was just returning to my apartment after picking up some groceries when I looked up and noticed a sun column. I had never seen one before, so I was reasonably excited. I quickly put down my groceries in my kitchen, grabbed my camera and started clicking away. The cause of this phenomenon is sunlight being refracted up into the atmosphere by ice. Here is one of the better pictures, where the sun column isn't just blotted out by, you know, it being a picture of the sun: Now, I should probably get back to packing away the groceries.
______________________________________________________________
Edit: If you read the comments, you will see that Chuck, from Lounge of the Lab Lemming, also has an excellent picture of a sun column. I recommend that everyone check it out.

2 comments:

Chuck said...

Here's another one.
http://lablemminglounge.blogspot.com/2008/07/outback-sunrise.html

Bryan said...

WOW!!!

Yours is much better!

If you don't mind, I will add a hotlink into the body of my post

Disclaimer

All the Latin on this page is from my vague recollections from High School. There are mistakes in the text. I just was trying to get the point across

Between Los Alamos,NM and White Rock, NM

Between Los Alamos,NM and White Rock, NM
The photo of the travertine spring was taken in the small opening in the center of the image.

Lectio Liber