Ramblings about what I encounter within the realm of the geosciences, as well as the occasional rant about nonsense.

09 June 2009

Summer Reading List Meme

Still getting back in the swing of things. Fortunately, there exists a summer reading list meme to help out. Suvrat started it, passed it to BrianR, who was joined by Eric, and the party then gained Silver Fox, and now me. Rules are straightforward. What are you reading/planning to read this summer?

And Go:

Well, the ole pile of books by the bed (on the bedstand and on the floor) suggest I am currently plowing my way through:

-The Roman Hat Mystery by Ellery Queen: I am a big fan of mysteries, and this is Ellery Queen's first adventure. All of them are, apparently, fair play whodunnits which happen to be my favorite subgenre of mysterys.

-The Song of the Dodo by David Quammen: I finally found this in a local bookstore (they keep selling out, I assume). So now I get to finally read about island biogeography.

-A Man on the Moon by Andrew Chaikin: I borrowed this from my sister about a year and a half ago. I should probably get around to reading it.

-The Canon by Natalie Angier: I try to avoid science books with too broad of a theme (think 'how to fossilize your hamster'), but this one is enjoyable thus far.

-Parallel Worlds by Michio Kaku: I have a friend who constantly makes my head implode by explaining physics at the bar, so I've set out to try and get a better understanding of the stuff. This book deals mostly with cosmology, but an entertaining read nonetheless.

-The Planets by Dava Sobel: I've enjoyed her previous books, so I figured why not read about the planets.

-His Dark Materials series by Phillip Pullman: Jeannette (from 10 Ma of Solitude) suggested I read this series, so I think I will.

-Sand by Michael Welland: Yep, joining in with most other people on this one

-Beyond the 100th Meridian by Wallace Stegner: And joining Eric on this one.

And, like a Vogon making a request to save his mother from the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal, these books will be lost, found, lost again, subjected to public inquiry, and most likely buried in soft peat for several months before I actually get around to finishing them.

3 comments:

David B. Williams said...

Quammen's book is first rate. Certainly gives one a new appreciation of Alfred Wallace and his incredible insight into evolution.

BrianR said...

Silver Fox (Looking for Detachment) also posted a list.

Bryan said...

Yeah I just saw that, my blog roll has been slow for some reason.

Disclaimer

All the Latin on this page is from my vague recollections from High School. There are mistakes in the text. I just was trying to get the point across

Between Los Alamos,NM and White Rock, NM

Between Los Alamos,NM and White Rock, NM
The photo of the travertine spring was taken in the small opening in the center of the image.

Lectio Liber