Ramblings about what I encounter within the realm of the geosciences, as well as the occasional rant about nonsense.

21 September 2009

Quiz Time

Bad Astronomy found a quiz from the Pew Research Center on the topic of science literacy. 12 questions in all (the last four are True/False). The focus of the questions is on basic science that has been in the news recently. And a majority of the questions stem from science that has recently been the center of public policy.

So how did I do? Well, let's go to the graph: This chart shows how many questions (out of 12) each group answered correctly. I assume they took the mean, but they just say the results are averaged.

12 questions, 12 correct answers. Hot Damn.... I.... pay attention to the world...

In all honesty, these questions were not hard. Sadly, my age group isn't very informed. Originally, I was optimistic about the steady upward trend you can see regarding education level. However, it just occurred to me that the people who are most likely to graduate from college are probably the most likely to pay attention to basic science in the media. There is definite room for improvement here, but it doesn't look insurmountable.

No comments:

Disclaimer

All the Latin on this page is from my vague recollections from High School. There are mistakes in the text. I just was trying to get the point across

Between Los Alamos,NM and White Rock, NM

Between Los Alamos,NM and White Rock, NM
The photo of the travertine spring was taken in the small opening in the center of the image.

Lectio Liber