Ramblings about what I encounter within the realm of the geosciences, as well as the occasional rant about nonsense.

15 January 2010

EEdiocy Part the second

I've been absent for a bit. Traveling around, going to conferences, visiting family, getting applications submitted. So I haven't gotten around to the rest of what I had originally intended to be a three part series on the woeful behavior of the Japan Times. Fortunately, a reader of the Times wrote in to criticize the articles himself.
I am glad to see that The Japan Times is publishing in-depth articles on scientific topics such as the "Our growing Earth?" series on geology by Jeff Ogrisseg. But these articles prompt a reminder of an all too common logical fallacy: "Albert Einstein got bad grades in school. I am getting bad grades. Therefore, I am a genius."

The current widely accepted theory of plate tectonics was once widely dismissed, but this cannot be used to argue that another theory, currently dismissed, should become accepted. Nearly all theories are wrong.

The expanding Earth theory must explain where all the additional mass comes from. This is not some minor detail. We are talking about a planet's worth. To explain it, the expanding earth theorizers must overturn a great deal of established physics. Of course, all those physicists might be wrong, too, but I wouldn't put money on it. And, by the way, I am not a geologist.

Tobias is spot on. The EE proponents seem to overlook Carl Sagan's quote:
"But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."
I had intended to finish this off. However, after finishing off the first post I found it to be more of a joyless task whose only potential rewards run along the lines of an ulcer or high blood pressure. What has been said before, by other geobloggers and myself, is enough to discredit the EE concept. The failure of EE advocates to realize this in no way affects geology.

So if anybody wants to read as Neil Adams gets his ego stroked, I will point them here.
And if anybody wants to engage in this tiresome exercise on the third article, I will point them here.

No comments:

Disclaimer

All the Latin on this page is from my vague recollections from High School. There are mistakes in the text. I just was trying to get the point across

Between Los Alamos,NM and White Rock, NM

Between Los Alamos,NM and White Rock, NM
The photo of the travertine spring was taken in the small opening in the center of the image.

Lectio Liber